Wednesday, February 20, 2008

spongebob immune systems

Okay, yes, I am going to sign up for a HIM, but now which one!!! Clevelanders I need your opinions do I go with the Greater Cleveland Tri onAugust 10th, its part of the Beast series which I was wanting to participate in or do I give myself a few more weeks to train and go with the Buckeye Challenge on the 24th? Are there any others in Sept/Oct in the area you would recommend? Also does the GTC or Buckeye fill up quickly, do I need to register right away to ensure a spot or do I have a month or so to think on it?

Last night Tracie and I hit the pool at the J. I had plans of swimming 2000 yds+ but only made it 1500. The pool was like 70 degrees and I literally was on the verge of throwing up at lap 30, so I called it quits. But I swam the first 20 minutes with no accessories to see how far I can go. The CTC indoor tri is on the 9th, so I am hoping to be able to do 800 - 1000 yards in the 20 mins they allot (20 min swim, 20 min bike, 20 min run). Last night I completed 14 laps in 20 mins, so 700 yards. But I wasn’t feeling my best, so hopefully I can improve on that in the next 2 weeks. I will say that my swimming has most definitely improved. I used to have to rest after every 25 yards, now I don’t rest until 50yds and can sometimes make it 100 yds. This is great. But I can’t flip turn, not that I’ve tried…but I wonder if I need to learn to so I can swim uninterrupted. Grabbing onto the wall every 30 seconds isn’t very realistic. I can’t wait to get into outdoor swimming, but since its Cleveland, that will be a few more months for sure. I am going to go buy a wetsuit soon though while they are still on sale. I saw one at Bike Authority that I think will work for me, the brand is 19 and it’s sleeveless and calf length. I guess that’s okay, I’ve read a lot of opinions on long sleeved versus short sleeved wet suits and think I will go with short sleeved so I can move my arms more freely.

Yesterday I was feeling much better, today I feel awful again. Grrrrrr. It’s just amazing to me that I can be sick all the time. I take my vitamins, get plenty of rest, but I just have the immune system of a sea sponge. If anyone around me is sick, 2 days later so am I. Anyone know of any really good immune systems supplements? I hate to take another daily pill; I already take 2 fish oil, 2 glucosamine, 1 chromium and 1 women’s daily vitamin. Maybe I need to add a B supplement? Maybe it’s just b/c I work in a larger office now so there are more germs? Before this job I always worked at small companies, so 40 people tops. So, with 300+ I guess the germ pool is larger.

11 comments:

Papa Louie said...

I chose the Buckeye Challenge over GTC. I know the GTC course and race director and decided to go with HFP race for my first HIM and really had a nice time. I will probably do that race in a couple years. Although, the Deer Creek HIM in Sept might be even better. I like that area.

Anonymous said...

There is a chance I will be doing GCT!

Supalinds said...

Good call on the HIM. I think those are the perfect distance!

The swimming will come. Just keep pushing it one 25 at a time. And voila, you will be there.

triguyjt said...

keep pushing that swimming...
see how far you have come.
I have a sleeveless that comes down to the ankles... easy to get on and off..

Janet Edwards said...

Well I don't know much about Buckeye but I give a thumbs up to GCT. I think I will be doing it this year. (I have a friend's wedding the night before is my hangup.)

The bonus of GCT is sooo many friendly faces and you can get out there and practice the course a ton. Plus Beast Series!

GP said...

Wowzaas! I didn't know you were up to HIM already. Great!

I agree with daisy: while I don't know Buckeye, my vote goes with GCT. It has such a warm and friendly atmosphere. I think I'll be doing an Olympic there this year.

Brian said...

I did the buckeye 2 years ago. I'm sure I blogged about it. It was my first and only so far half IM. The bike had 1 big hill that you have to ride twice. 2 laps. And the run was an off road course with a fair amount of hills. It was really hot the year I did it and I was dead on the run.

But, it is a smaller lake then erie, and erie can sometimes make for a rough swim.

Anyway, I'd say just sign up for GTC and call it a day. Besides the hotels / motels around buckeye are really scary. Like you think someguy with a banjo will start playing and telling you to squeal like a pig.

Josh Middleton said...

I hear the best way to keep yourself nice and healthy is to wash your hands constantly - or use that purell stuff.

and consume lots of spicy, hot peppers!

Anonymous said...

Do I need to add another vote for GCT! You get to race with everyone you train with...which makes a long race worth while. Call me, lets talk about the 15K next weekend. I will pack all of my winter clothes...just in case!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

So is your pee NEON with all of the vitamins?!? :-) COngrats on the swimming improvements. I can totally relate to your progress! Can't give you Ohio race advice, but the Buckeye Challenge is a cool name!

Charlie said...

GCT!
This is our party! It is really nice to have the CTC crowd with you during the late stages.
I have promised Micky I will play at the finish line again. I can't promise and Phish, but I do a few by the jammy group that came before Treys band.

About Me

My Photo
Mnowac
distance runner attempting to run a marathon in every state, vegetarian foodie, mediocre triathlete, sucky swimmer, mommy to Harper, tea lover, coffee drinker, animal saver, hubby snuggler, race addict, full time working 31 year old living in cleveland
View my complete profile

Marathons so far

  • Sept 2012 - Corning, NY - TBD
  • April 2012 - Louisville, KY - TBD
  • Sept 2011 - Erie PA - 4:25
  • June 2011 - South Bend IN - 5 hrs+ (it was 98 degrees!)
  • Dec 2010 - Rehoboth Beach DE - 4:26:06
  • Nov 2010 - Huntington WV - 4:11:44
  • Oct 2009 - Towpath - Cleveland area OH - 4:30:35
Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews